To help you get off to a good start on your holiday, we have collected the most important tips for your journey from the airport below. At peak times, especially in the early morning and afternoon, you should expect wait times at the security check and at check-in. We therefore recommend you always have all your identification and mandatory travel documents ready at the airport and to be aware of the airline's regulations regarding hand luggage.
It is important to arrive at the airport at least 2 hours before departure, but never more than 3 hours before. The Federal Police also recommend that you arrive at the security checks at least 90 minutes before departure. Even if the airport is less busy at other times, these travel recommendations still apply.
The airport is easy to reach by public transport. If you want to be brought to the airport by car, you should take note of the Kiss & Fly regulations in front of the terminal: You may stop there for up to 8 minutes free of charge. Use the parking specials or park the first hour in car parking P0 free of charge.
Timing on the day of travel: Be at the airport in good time
- Check current flight status
- Plan walking times to and in the terminal
- Be there 2 hours before departure at the latest, 3 hours at the earliest.
- Check-in counters open 2-3 hours before departure
- Be at the security check at least 90 minutes before departure
- Be at the gate at least 45 minutes before departure
Hand luggage and liquids: Get through the security check well
- Observe regulations on items in hand luggage
- Observe wait times and use security checks in all terminals
- Prepare for the security check
- Pack liquids for hand luggage in 1-litre zip bags
- Follow the information provided by the Federal Police (in German)
- Observe the gate display at the security checkpoint
- If possible, take only 1 piece of hand luggage with you
Check-in und Gepäck: Rechtzeitig anstellen und Selfservices nutzen
- Check in online in advance
- Use Check-in on the eve of departure
- Find out where the check-in desk is (3 hours before departure at the earliest)
- Check-in counters open 2 to 3 hours before departure
- Have travel documents and passports ready to show
- Allow more time for bulky luggage
- Use the luggage trolley and the baggage porter service
- Check the current flight status
- Fly well with children
- Barrier-free travel at the STR
Getting to the airport: Booking a parking space, planning bus and train connections
- 3 tips for getting to the airport
- Research connections for arriving by bus or train
- Please note that the S-Bahn is currently closed, it is best to take the U6 tram to the airport from the main station.
- Book a parking space early
- Get a lift to the airport (Kiss & Fly)
- Use car-sharing services at the airport