The eastern part of the 3,345-metre-long runway receives a new surface from April to mid-June 2020. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, construction work on the partial renewal of the runway starts on 6 April, earlier than originally scheduled. Air traffic cannot take place during these preparatory works until 22 April. Construction phase I runs from then until 20 May. During this period, the shortened runway has a length of about 1,965 metres. In construction phase II, which lasts until 17 June, the runway measures 2,475 metres. On 18 June, the construction work is completed, and the runway is back to its original length. Video of the construction work (in German): https://youtu.be/a-MxC88lAC8
In March, the corona crisis reaches Germany - Stuttgart Airport is also affected. Aircraft movements decline sharply. The focus shifts to night air mail, cargo, emergency and rescue flights in addition to the remaining scheduled traffic. Airlines park their planes on the apron of Stuttgart Airport, as a large part of their fleet is not needed. Restaurants and stores in the terminals close. Restrictions are not eased until June, and air traffic slowly picks up again. Nevertheless, even in the holiday month of August, passenger numbers and flight movements are only about one third of the previous year's figures.
Stuttgart Airport welcomed its 12 millionth passenger on 6 December 2019. She travelled to Riga with airBaltic. For the first time, more than 12.7 million passengers took off and landed at Baden-Württemberg's state airport in just one year. Although the demand for air travel to and from Stuttgart increased until the end of 2019, the airport also succeeded in reducing its direct emissions by 33% since 1990. On the way to carbon neutrality, one third is accomplished.
The research aircraft SOFIA (Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy) visits Stuttgart. The flying observatory is a joint project of NASA and the German Aerospace Center (DLR).
For the first time, the Children's Festival at Stuttgart Airport lasts two days to mark its 25th anniversary. Over 50,000 visitors attended the festivities on 10 -11 August.
Goal achieved: Since 2018, electric buses have been taking passengers to their aircraft with zero local emissions. Luggage is also transported 100% emission-free with the use of electric tow tractors.
For the first time, more than eleven million passengers took off and landed at Baden-Württemberg's state airport in just one year. Sabine Grieger from Öhningen set the record on the last day of November 2018. The airport management surprised her in the terminal. Dr. Arina Freitag and Walter Schoefer presented her with a Eurowings voucher and a large bouquet of flowers.
With its 2016 report, Flughafen Stuttgart GmbH (FSG) struck out in a new direction: instead of a business report and a sustainability report, only one report will now be published every year. This shows that, in FSG's view, business success and sustainability performance are inextricably linked.
After several years of construction work, the new office building, the SkyLoop, was handed over to the main tenant EY (Ernst & Young). Shortly thereafter, Flughafen Stuttgart GmbH’s head office moved into the newly built SkyPort building and on 11th April, the Stuttgart Airport Bus Terminal (SAB) was put into operation.
On 15th July, Stuttgart Airport was named the Manfred Rommel Airport. This was done to honour the work of the long-time Chairman of the Supervisory Board and Lord Mayor of Stuttgart: Manfred Rommel (born 1928 – died 2013).
In the winter of this year, the new combined heat and power plant started running.
In July 2011, work to demolish the old freight yard began. The same month saw the opening of the fairport STR environmental tour, where visitors receive in-depth information on environmental protection at the airport at various stops along the way. Current information on sustainability issues can be found on the airport website: www.stuttgart-airport.com/fairport
The airport issued its first environmental report in 2010.
In June 2010, around 12,000 spectators watched a Lufthansa Airbus A380 land in Stuttgart for the very first time.
The new tank farm in the eastern part of the apron was put into operation in 2009. The three tanks, which are over 13 metres high, hold a total of 4,500 m³ of fuel – 2.5 times more than the previous depot in the west.
The solar energy plant on the roof of the Bosch multi-storey car park has been producing around 1.2 million kW hours of electricity every year since 2009. (Photo: BoschSolarEnergyAG)
The trade fair centre, the Bosch multi-storey car park and the Mövenpick Hotel Stuttgart Airport were all opened in 2007.
The new Terminal 3 was opened in 2004. Characteristic here are the 'steel trees' that support the roof of the hall – just like in Terminal 1.
The Lufthansa hall that was converted into Terminal 4 was inaugurated in 2000.
In 1996, the new runway, which was extended to 3,345 metres, was put into operation – making Stuttgart Airport able to handle larger and heavier aircraft. From left to right: Hermann Schaufler (Minister of Transport and the Environment Baden-Württemberg), Dieter Kaden (CEO of Deutsche Flugsicherung GmbH [German Air Navigation Services]), Georg Fongern (Speaker of Vereinigung Cockpit), Prof. Klaus Wedekind (Managing Director of the Airport) and Manfred Rommel (Mayor of Stuttgart) blowing out the Red Lantern at the opening ceremony.
On the way to Norway, the Olympic Flame made a brief stop at the airport in 1994.
In 1991, the new Terminal 1 was put into operation after a five-year construction period. The following year, the architectural office that designed the passenger lounge received the German Steel Construction Award for it.
In 1987, Pope John Paul II stopped off at Stuttgart Airport for 10 minutes.
Delta started flying from Stuttgart. Using a Lockheed L-1011 TriStar, the airline started flying to Atlanta via Amsterdam from 1986 onwards.
Stuttgart Airport was the first airport in the Federal Republic of Germany to introduce noise-related take-off and landing charges in the 1970s, incentivising airlines to use machines that were as quiet as possible. 1972 saw the first landing of a Turkish Airlines DC 10-10 in Stuttgart.
In 1970, a Lufthansa Boeing 747, also known as a Jumbo Jet, landed at the airport for the first time ever.
Since 1969, the airport has regularly measured aircraft noise in the area; a noise protection officer from the Regional Council took up his duties and restrictions for night-time flying were introduced.
After nearly two years of building work, the runway, which was extended to 2,250 metres, was ready for use. A Boeing 707 belonging to Lufthansa landed on it for the first time in 1961.
In 1958, the Air France Caravelle was the first jet engine to land in Stuttgart.
The company running the airport was renamed Stuttgart Airport GmbH in 1957.
Lufthansa started its flight operations from Stuttgart in 1955.
In 1954, the occupying forces released the northern part of the airport with the terminal and runway for civilian use.
In 1949, Flughafen Württemberg AG became Flughafen Württemberg GmbH. Its shareholders were the city of Stuttgart and the federal state.
Civil air traffic commenced in 1948 with a Pan American World Airways DC-3.
After the war, first French and then American troops occupied the airport.
In 1937, the foundation stone for Stuttgart Airport was laid on the Filder Plain. The first aircraft, a Messerschmitt M 108 "Typhoon", touched down while building work was still going on! After completion in 1939, however, the outbreak of World War II prevented its official opening and Stuttgart became a military airfield.
Luwag became Flughafen Württemberg AG in 1936.
The increase in air traffic in general and at the Böblingen site in the 1930s led to plans to move the airport closer to Stuttgart, the state capital.
In 1925, a scheduled airliner, a Dornier Merkur, landed at the new Stuttgart-Böblingen Airport for the very first time. The picture shows Karl Feucht, mechanic and on-board attendant, at the Dornier works.
With the aim of building a new airport in Böblingen, Luftverkehr Württemberg AG, or 'Luwag' for short, was founded on 15 November 1924. It was the origin of today's airport operator at the current location: Stuttgart Airport.